Sunday, November 19, 2023

Werowocomoco

 Head, Heart, Hands and Health. 

As a member of the Glen Allen 4-H club when I was 10 years old I spent one summer at the Jamestown 4-H Education Center campground. It was my first experience learning of the Virginia Indians. The camp was divided into groups that were named for various tribes. I was a Paspahegh. Others were Pamunkey, Mattaponi, Chickahominy, Rappahannock, Nansemond and Monacan. The camp was and still is immediately adjacent to the Jamestown Colony on the James River. We could see the three ships moored at the dock. 

I learned to swim in the river just west of the replicas of the Susan Constant, Discovery, and Godspeed.


Today I searched the National Park Service website for parks near my home. I was aware of the Shanandoah but wondered what other parks might be nearby. Here I discovered Werowocomoco. More than 400 years before English settlers established Jamestown, Werowocomoco had been an important Powhatan Indian town. Werowocomoco, translated from the Virginia Algonquian language, means “place of leadership”. As an archaeological site, Werowocomoco was confirmed in 2002, nearly 400 years after the Indian leader paramount chief Powhatan and his people interacted with Jamestown settlers here and at Jamestown. Werowocomoco remains closed to the public as planning efforts are ongoing.

https://www.nps.gov/cajo/planyourvisit/werowocomoco.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werowocomoco

Historical documents describe an embarrassing treatment of the indigenous people Europeans found on this continent. Obvious discrimination of what was perceived to be a backward primitive folk doomed their civilization. In just 100 years European disease and war with the Indians killed millions that thrived before the invasion.